Look & Log

The City of Johannesburg encourages residents to report issues through dedicated channels. Remember to get a reference number: this allows you to follow up and escalate when needed.

City of Joburg call centre number: 0860 56 28 74

The City of Johannesburg relies on its residents to log service delivery failures so that it can attend to them. If issues are not logged on the City’s systems, the entities are likely unaware of the breakdowns and until you report them, the breakdowns will remain unresolved.

Issues which you have logged, but which have not been adequately addressed, can be brought to the attention of your local ward or PR councillor.

How to log an issue

  • Report the incident to the relevant entity and obtain a reference number.
  • Allow the department an opportunity to resolve the issue. There is a guideline that shows how long it should take to resolve an issue.
  • If not resolved, follow up with the Call Centre and provide your reference number.
  • If still not resolved, contact the BFRA and/or the ward councillor. We will try to escalate the issue further.

Voice menu

  • Account and billing enquiries: select option 1 – please remember to have your account number handy;
  • City Power: select option 2;
  • Joburg Water: select option 3;
  • Pikitup: select option 4;
  • Johannesburg Roads Agency: select option 5;
  • Metrobus: select option 6;
  • Enquiries relating to the rates policy and valuation roll: select option 7; and
  • For all other City enquiries: select option 0.
  • For each query, you will get a reference number. Make sure you keep this reference number so that you can follow up your query.
  • It is also possible to fax your query to 011 358 3408 / 09 or email joburgconnect@joburg.org.za.​​

Report issues by visiting your nearest walk-in centre or calling 0860 562 874 and selecting option 1. Please log your complaints with the correct authorities before contacting your local ward councillor to escalate the matter.

Statements can be seen at www.joburg.org.za under e-services. 

The nearest walk-in centre is at Randburg Customer Service Centre cnr Bram Fischer Drive and Jan Smuts Avenue, Randburg. 

  • Opening times of the walk-in centre:
  • Monday – Friday: 7.30am – 3:30pm
  • Last Saturday of every month: 7:30 am – 12.00pm
  • 3rd Thursday of the month: 8:30am – 3:30pm


Approximate time to resolve issues (according to Service Level Agreements):

  • Resolve a billing query: 30 days
  • Change of ownership: up to 6 weeks
  • Finalise rates: 5 days
  • Install new water or electricity meter: 25 days from date of payment
  • Send final readings when moving out: with 7 days’ notice
  • Close an account: 30 days
  • Issue a clearance certificate: 3 days from date of application
  • Process refunds: 30 days if service ticket is compliant and services finalised by the back office
  • Open a new account: 1 day

When a billing query is logged, the City of Joburg has 30 days to resolve it. There is recourse if a customer’s query isn’t dealt with satisfactorily. Ratepayers shouldn’t opt for recourse before waiting out the required 30 days for the resolution of their bill.


Helpful hints

Meter readings

Check your meter readings first, compare them to your statements from the city. Many billing complaints stem from incorrect /estimated readings. Take photos as proof of meter readings and include daily newspaper in the photo to time stamp the reading. The meter number must show clearly.

Pre-termination notice

If a pre-termination notice is issued, you have two weeks from that date to sort out your account. If you are disputing the account, you must phone COJ to get a reference number that must be quoted when dealing with your dispute. You should not be cut off when there is a valid, open query. Please check as sometimes queries are closed without being resolved. You should always have a valid reference number.

Faulty Meters

Faulty meters should be replaced while you are present so you can verify your final meter reading and obtain a job card from the relevant entity of COJ.

Electricity - City Power

Issues can be logged on www.citypower.mobi from your cell phone. Alternatively call 0860 562 874 and select option two.

Approximate time to resolve issues (according to Service Level Agreements)

  • Restore power to a property: 48 hours
  • Remove illegal connections: 24 hours
  • Attend to dangerous situation: immediately
  • Repair broken street lights: 2 days
  • Convert meters: 72 hours
  • Fix faulty meters: 72 hours
Roads - JRA (Johannesburg Roads Agency)

Issues can be emailed to hotline@jra.org.za or alternatively call 0860 562 874 and select option five. You can also download the JRA Find & Fix app onto your smartphone to log issues directly from the device.

Approximate time to resolve issues (according to Service Level Agreements)

  • Repair potholes: 3 days
  • Replace missing manhole cover: 24 hours
  • Fix blocked kerb inlet: 24 hours
  • Fix road trenches: 2 days
  • Make safe collapsed road or dangerous situation: immediately
  • Complete road markings or signage: 7 days
  • Repair faulty traffic lights: 12 hours



In the event that your vehicle is damaged by a pothole, the municipality where the damage occurred is obliged to pay the cost of vehicle repairs. 

Note: damages from potholes on private, national and provincial roads do not fall within the jurisdiction of a municipality. If you have suffered personal injury, it is best to consult an attorney for advice.



The claims process involves lengthy paperwork, long waiting periods and is subject to certain preconditions. 

In addition to completing the claim form, attach the following documents:

  • Police affidavit
  • Copy of driver’s license of the claimant (in case of vehicle damage)
  • Vehicle registration documents (in case of vehicle damage)
  • Copy of ID
  • Photos of the damage to the car (in case of vehicle damage)
  • Three quotations or invoice/proof of payment
  • Letter from insurance company confirming that the claim was not logged to own insurance
  • Doctor’s report if there is personal injury

JRA recommends that you either email or fax the documents. Doing both only delays the process.

The claims process takes time because the JRA works with both its insurance brokers and insurers when processing claims.

Each claim is assessed on its merits and in accordance with the JRA’s public liability policy, which means not all claims will be successful and paid out.

Joburg Water

Issues you can report to Joburg Water:

  • Burst pipe 
  • Water outage 
  • Faulty meter 
  • Stolen water meter
  • Blocked sewer

SMS line: 082 653 2143 

24 hour Hotline: 0860 562 874 

Twitter: @JHBWater

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JohannesburgWater/

Email: customer@jwater.co.za

Johannesburg Water Website: https://www.johannesburgwater.co.za/ 


Approximate time to resolve issues (according to Service Level Agreements)

  • Burst water pipe: 12 hours
  • Sewer leak/ blockage: 24 hours 
  • Meter leaks: 7 days
  • Fire hydrant leaks: 2 days
  • Bees in a meter box takes around three days to remove.
Refuse collection - Pikitup

Issues should be logged by calling 0860 562 874 and selecting option 4.

Approximate time to resolve issues (according to Service Level Agreements)

  • New or additional bins: 7 days
  • Remove animal carcass: 6 hours
  • Clean illegal dumping: 2 days


To report illegal dumping to Pikitup, call 011 688 1500 or email  illegaldumping@pikitup.co.za

Parks and trees - City Parks

Issues should first be logged by calling 0860 562 874 and selecting option 0 or emailing jcp@jhbcityparks.com.

Approximate time to resolve issues (according to Service Level Agreements)

  • Grass cutting in open spaces: up to 30 days
  • Maintenance of flagship parks: 7 days
  • Maintenance of developed parks: 30 days
  • Maintenance of undeveloped parks: 90 days
  • Maintenance of main arterials: 1x per month
  • Maintenance of landscaped islands and town entrances: 2x per month
  • Maintenance of active/flagship cemeteries: 2x per month
  • Maintenance of passive cemeteries: 90 days
  • Remove fallen trees or branches: 24 hours
  • Prune trees: 30 days
  • Repair damaged park infrastructure: within 7 days

Escalation if issues not resolved in time frames listed above: Region B manager: Alton Rankin, 011 039 1940 or 011 039 2963, arankin@jhbcityparks.com or lngakane@jhbcityparks.com


Website: https://www.facebook.com/AsktheChiefJMPD/


JMPD Emergency 

011 375 5911 / 011 758 9620 


JMPD Hotline

080 862 3342 or 10177


JMPD Traffic management hotline

080 872 3342

JMPD Reckless driving hotline

081 410 6338


JMPD Call Centre

011 758 9650


JMPD Control/Radio room

011 375 5918



0800 203 712

Illegal Dumping (remember to take photos)


082 779 1361

All tip-offs remain anonymous

Metro Bus

Timetables can be accessed and complaints made by calling 0860 562 874 and selecting option 6. Alternatively visit the website at https://www.mbus.co.za/.


The website of the ombudsman is www.joburgombudsman.org.za.


  1. First lodge a query with the City of Johannesburg by either :
  2. Calling Care Connect on 0860 562 874, or
  3. Visit a Customer Service Centre near you at the COJ Regional Office for your ward ; or
  4. Make sure you receive and save your reference number from the City of Johannesburg. Should you wish to escalate your complaint, the ombudsman will require this number.
  5. Allow the City of Johannesburg a reasonable opportunity to resolve the complaint. If your complaint is not resolved, then you may escalate to the Office of the Ombudsman.


  1. Make sure that you have the following documents on hand.
  2. A copy of the complainant’s ID. If acting on behalf of another person, then Power of Attorney also needs to be included.
  3. City of Johannesburg Reference number.
  4. Proof of Residence (if available).
  5. All prior correspondence (i.e. emails, SMS’s etc.) that relate to the complaint.
  6. All documentation relating to the complaint.
  7. All complaints must be submitted on the prescribed complaint form to the Office of the Ombudsman.




Complete and sign the form and attach all corresponding documents then email to complaints@joburgombudsman.org.za, or visit the Office of the Ombudsman with the completed form.




The Ombudsman will not investigate the following:

  1. Any legislative or executive decisions by the City of Johannesburg Council or its executive organs
  2. Any matter where legal or arbitration proceedings have commenced, or are likely to commence
  3. Any matter relating to the laying of a charge against (or the prosecution of) an alleged offender
  4. Matters that must be dealt with by labour law
  5. Investigations into the financial affairs of the City of Johannesburg Council
  6. Complaints which are vexatious or frivolous (i.e. complaints which do not have serious purpose or value)
  7. Complaints where the complainant has not pursued all possible solutions offered by the City of Johannesburg, unless the Ombudsman believes that refusing to pursue these solutions would amount to (or result in) an injustice to the complainant
  8. Any alleged irregular conduct by a City of Johannesburg Councillor.

What to know more?

Fill in the form below or WhatsApp us  

Whatsapp Number

072 341 1905


Or WhatsApp (072) 341 1905